Simple problem with piece of plastic in disk tray

Playstation 2 related problems
electronics retard

Simple problem with piece of plastic in disk tray

Post by electronics retard »

Please help-i have a problem with my disk tray coz there is sumthin wrong with a piece of plastic a the top which makes the disk spin it is right above the spinny thing if that makes any sense when i put the disk in it make a severe grinding sound HELP
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Yeah, I have seen that problem before.

The piece of plastic is there to hold down the DVD firmly while it is spinning (I think).

If there is not enough contact between the DVD and the plastic bit, you will hear scraping as the discs is spinning under the piece of plastic.

Not sure how to fix that however.

Once again, if you are not comfortable with opening your PS2 (void the warranty) and have a look it's better if you take the ps2 for service!

good luck,
electronics retard

Post by electronics retard »

ok i found out that there is a magnet missing from the piece of plastic so could you tell me where i could find another magnet?
khat17

Post by khat17 »

The little magnet holds the disk in place. Here's a trick. If you've removed the little "white plastic" spindle cover, and being careful not to break/bend it, you can place a disk into the tray/drive and put the spindle on the top of the disk (on the spindle) and it should snap down. The magnet should hold it. If it holds, and holds firm, then the spindle/top is good. If not, then you need to replace the magnet. No idea where you'd get one though......maybe some store or another might have one. Or maybe you could find one on the back of one of those that stick on your fridge.......I'd suggest carrying it to a store first and see if you can find a replacement. In the absence of that, you could try one from out of a LITEON CD/DVD drive that is not good anymore. Most if not all of those that I've seen carry the same type of spindle top. I haven't actually tried this method, but I may do so when I get home, as I have one pulled down that I'd like to test anyways..........

Let us know how it goes. Hope the info helps.

PeAcE.