Multiple cameras in a dynamic IP set-up

Question and comments on the D-Link DCS-2100+ Internet Camera
Gayle

Multiple cameras in a dynamic IP set-up

Post by Gayle »

I've had a tech guy at my house for over 12 hours over the past few weeks, and he can't get my cameras set up...very frustrating. He said something about dynamic ips...and set up one camera on dynip. That one only works behind our home firewall. Any thoughts on some basic steps I can take on my own to get this thing set up? We have the d-link router so you think it'd be easy...thanks!
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Gayle,

you haven't told us the whole story! Are you trying to set up multiple cameras behind your d-link router that you all want to be accessible from the web?

I would not mess around with dynamic IP on the camera. Do that on the router instead, and set up forwards to static local IPs that you have assigned to the cameras.

Example:
I assume you have created a DynDNS account. When the router is connected to the Internet, it will update DynDNS with the currently assigned IP and DynDNS will bind a host name that you have selected to that IP. Lets say you are using "www.mywebcam.com".

Also let's say you have assigned a static local IP to your camera, e.g. 192.168.1.5 and that it should listen to port 85.

Set up a port forward on your router. Incoming port 85 request (TCP) to be forwarded to the port 85 on 192.168.1.5. You must also forward the 3 control ports, usually 5001-5003 to that IP. Select both TCP and UDP for those.

You should then be able to access your camera from any browser by typing http://www.mywebcam.com:85. (If you choose port 80 you can omit the port number at the end of the url but for security reasons I would not recommend it).

If you have multiple cameras, you will have to assign different web ports (85 and etc) and different control ports (5001-5003) on all of them and set up all the forwarding. Maybe this is what your "tech guy" failed to do?

Hope it make sense,
d.

Post by Guest »

Ah, sorry, I did not know what information to provide because setting this up is outside of my realm of comprehension! I have two 2100+s and I want them set up wireless in my home. I'd like to view AND listen to both in my home. And I'd also like my husband to be able to view and listen to both from his workplace during the day. Finally, I'd like my parents to be able to view and listen from their home in another state.

I'm not sure how our tech guy set up the ips...I'll have to ask him. SHOULD I be able to accomplish what I want with the 2100+'s and my DI624 router? If so, are there some simple questions I need to ask my tech guy to check? And finally, if he can't get it together is there someone (you?) that can consult to him - or a way to find someone locally (I'm in Northern New Jersey) that can install this properly? It just seems like we have the perfect product but after all this investment, it's frustrating to not get it to work!

Thank you again.
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Tell him to set up a dynamic IP service, e.g. DynDNS.

Then set the account up on the router so that whenever it connects to the internet, a domain name will be bound to that (temporary) IP.

Set up you web cameras: static ip, web port, control ports, web users for people to view the video and sound.

Set up your router to forward ports and port ranges to the correct static IP

Camera 1:
static ip: 192.168.1.10
web port: 81
control ports: 5001, 5002, 5003

Camera 2:
static ip: 192.168.1.15
web port: 82
control ports: 5005, 5006, 5007

Setting up port forwarding differs from router to router but I tech guy should be able to this. The control ports (5000 and above) must be forwarded for both TCP and UDP. The web ports (80 and above) are TCP only.

The static IP will depend on your local network setup and might have to be modified, e.g. 192.168.0.10.

The product is OK, but a bit rough around the edges to be usable for the average user... I think.

let me know how it went.