Guest comment

On the topic of Movable Type (MT) and other general comment spam.
david
Site Admin

Guest comment

Post by david »

something is wrong with your comment links:
Gone The requested resource /cgi-bin/mt/fdj3kdj3kdk.cgi is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this resource.
--------------------------------------------------
btw, do you use mt-bayesian any longer. and what are your experiences?
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Thank you for pointing it out!

The problem was that I was trying to limit a RewriteCond with the standard <LIMIT> directive. This only works for the mod_access commands and not for the mod_rewrite.

The correct way of doing it is to add a RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} instead.

Regarding the mt-bayesian, it has captured ALL spam comments thus saving my main page from embarrassing ... spam. Unfortunately, it has quite a high false positive rate so I have to check for new comments often and release the good ones.
david
Site Admin

Guest comment

Post by david »

thanks for your explanation.

i have seen your comment entry im my weblog and gave you an answer. i set up my email adress today, but it does not work until now. perhaps it takes some time. as you may have seen there is some kind of spam in my relatively new weblog - referrer spam. and it will be only a question of time until the first comment spammer arrives. thus it would be interesting to find a good anti-spam solution. and perhaps a good weblog software that has anti-spam functionality build in by default :)
Last edited by david on Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

I have had to apply a combination of blog software (mt-bayesian) and Apache tweaks.

See below for some options to fight spam comments:

* Study your access log and try to find a pattern spammers are using. If you find one, edit your .htaccess to ban them commenting.

* Almost all comment spam comes from open proxies. Check for open proxies (checkdnsrr() in php) before you allow a comment post.

* Most comment spam is submitted by bots. Implement a decent CAPTCHA (http://dbvt.com/blog/archive/2004/10/29/441.aspx).

* Connect your blog to a centralised IP black list. mt-blacklist does this for MT.
david
Site Admin

Guest comment

Post by david »

Check for open proxies (checkdnsrr() in php)
how does this work? are you sure you can recognize proxies this way.

i have seen another interesting experiment that used cookies to differentiate between users and robots. not bad, but there had been trouble with some browsers.
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

checkdnsrr() does NOT test an IP to see whether it's an open proxy or not.

Instead, it uses a specified black list to determin whether an IP is listed or not.

Use it with some major black lists like list.dsbl.org and sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.
tito

huh ?

Post by tito »

are you talking to yourself ? :shock: :o

anyway, when using the translate links on your blog, the font used in the right menu is verry verry small (in IE)...
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

are you talking to yourself ?
hehe... I bet it looks like that. It's comments from other users that did not bother registering and just sent an email. I still think it was a good discussion and put it here...

Not only is the menu text tiny. The article text is decreasing :? I'll look at the CSS when I have time...