Help with BT line and Linksys WAG54G

On the Linksys WAG54G. Performance, configuration and set-up.
roadrage

Help with BT line and Linksys WAG54G

Post by roadrage »

Hi to all,

I am going to attempt to setup a friends Linksys WAG54G to his existing broadband supply. He has a BT line to which i will be connecting a microswitch inorder to have the phone line and broadband connected together. Am i correct in doing this? (I think microswitch is the correct term, it has a phone cable socket and a modem socket for the router.)

Secondly i am installing a wireless card into his tower, so that he doesn't need to have a cable coming out to the WAG54G. Is this correct ? and once i have done this what do i have to do next inorder to get him online?

I know i have to configure the wireless device using the isp settings, would i need to add mac addresses etc.. Once i have done this will i be able to get him "online"
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

You will have to put a micro filter between all phones in the house and the phone sockets.

You are correct, you will also need a micro filter between the WAG and the phone socket.

Towers normally do not have any places for wireless cards. What kind of card are you talking about (PCMCIA, SD, CF)?

Your best bet for the tower will be a PCI card or an USB adapter.

I am sorry to tell you that the above is the easy part. The hard part is setting up the ADSL modem values, securing WIFI and connecting various clients to the access point.... you'll have fun!
roadrage

Post by roadrage »

Hi sorry,

My card is pci. and your right configuring the router is a nightmare, i get the request for the username and password and then all i get is "internet explorer can not search for this page" or "page cannot be displayed." Am i doing soemthing wrong, i called linksys support, and they told me that to configure the router it neede to be hard wired first, but it doesn't say that in the use rmanuals?? Itried it by hard wiring from a ethernet port on the router to a lan card in my pc and still no luck...please help?
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

The request for the username and password seems to be the dial-up connection. You want to set up Internet Explorer to "never dial a connection".

Make sure the ethernet cable you are using is NOT cross wired. Cross wired cables are used in non-router set-ups, for example Internet Connection sharing.

The default IP of the router is 192.168.1.1, point your browser to that once the above is correct.
roadrage

Post by roadrage »

Hi and thanks for your reply,

I've got past the username and password. I tried the never dial up a connection option and also disabled the firewall software, i'm not sure which one cured it but i was able to configure the router as per user manual configuration instructions. Now the problem is that i can not get on to the internet. Which leads me to my next question. In the router configuration page where it asks for the username and password should i be putting in my BT network id or my email address which is slightly different? (network id is [email protected] and email is [email protected])

I checked the status of the wireless card and it says connected, it had an ip address of 192.168.1.101, wich i believe is valid, however i tried to ping it but cannot do so succsessfully. Any more help would be gratefully recieved

Kind thanks
David_C

Post by David_C »

You need the former option I think - I'm not a BT user so am unsure of the log in format but the ISP I use provided a Broadband login and this is the one you should use .
I assume when you signed up you chose your password - it 's the one that matches this - assuming of course you used different passwords?

Have you set the LAN to dynamically receive IP and DNS address if not you must set these up also. either Dynamic or static. You only need static if you are sharing a device 'eg printer' over the lan .
roadrage

Post by roadrage »

Hi Dave_c,

Thanks for the advice i shall try the latter username . I have enabled dhcp on the lan so i believe that has been configured correctly. I am going away for the weekend and shall be returning on tuesday so i look forward to any more advice when i return. Thanks in advance
David_C

Post by David_C »

A good place to go for help is the following Linksys page
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/lin ... =search_nl

As a rule you should be looking to establish a sound wireless link before you try to access the internet.

Ping the router first - looks like your on default settings so ping 192.168.1.1
once you have internet access ping a known web site www.Google.com will do.

Finally read the following forum
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 205861&p=1

I have upgraded to the most recent driver for my WPC54G and beta 1.2.5.07 firmware for the WAG54G . then set WPA tkip wireless access, works fine for me (bar wireless dropping off during remote file Tx)- but not all it seems!