No email logs from Linksys WAG54G

On the Linksys WAG54G. Performance, configuration and set-up.
newmattie

No email logs from Linksys WAG54G

Post by newmattie »

Hello,

I've just bought a Linksys WAG54G after my Netgear router stopped dishing out IP addresses via DHCP.

Anyway, I've enabled the email logs, given my server's SMTP address, a to: address and a from: address and I've not received a thing from the router. I've tried to provoke it to send me a log by forcing several scans on the Symantec security site, but nothing.

My SMTP server requires a username and password to log in - there's no space for this on the WAG54G's setup pages and Linksys support tell me that the router has a built-in SMTP service and should email these logs to an email address that I provide. I'd like to think it did - I think they're getting mixed up with the built-in SNMP service!

Has anybody managed to get this working? If so, how? And what's the trigger to send an email, as there are no schedules, unlike the Netgear routers.

Any info would be great.

I'm using the firmware version that came with the router (1.01.6) and can't see anything later that addresses this.

Thanks,
Matt
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Does not seem like the WAG54 supports SMTP authorisation :-(

Have you tried using "localhost" as SMTP server?

Call Linksys support again. The quality of support personnel varies greatly.
newmattie

Post by newmattie »

I tried localhost and it didn;t do anything, either. Support seem useless. They take a week to reply to emails and the phone support is, well... it leaves a lot to be desired.

If anyone finds a way round this, I'd be greatful, as my ISP don't supply me with a connection to SMTP servers, so I have to use my own from the domain I purchased and that involves authentication.

Cheers,
Matt
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

as my ISP don't supply me with a connection to SMTP servers,
That is a bit cheap, how else are you supposed to send emails?

Last time I looked (3 yrs ago) there were some free SMTP services out there. I used gmx.net (German) for a while.
newmattie

Post by newmattie »

david wrote:
as my ISP don't supply me with a connection to SMTP servers,
That is a bit cheap, how else are you supposed to send emails?

Last time I looked (3 yrs ago) there were some free SMTP services out there. I used gmx.net (German) for a while.
That's BT for you.

I'll do some testing and see if the logs are really worth all the trouble. Failing that, I#ll wait 'til my Netgear comes back from Netgear and give that a try (it works on there). Support have been slow in coming back to me. I'd go as far as to say from what I've seen so far, they're useless.

Cheers,
Matt