loss of wireless internet

On the Linksys WAG54G. Performance, configuration and set-up.
geoffd

loss of wireless internet

Post by geoffd »

i have recently purchased a wag54g and after a lot of hassle i have finally managed to get it to work i must admit most of the problem was down to me and not the equipment
the problem now is that i cannot maintain wireless internet connection for more than 10 minutes and then the connection to the wireless system is lost and will not restart ,until i either reboot the gateway or connect via an ethernet cable
any help wuld be gratefully appreciated :roll:

Post by Guest »

You're not the first, not the last ...
There are tons of concerns about the wireless stability of the WAG.
I do not have a personal feeling, because I use short connections (I pay by time ...).

Someone say it's a problem of device temperature, someother say to upgrade the firmware to 1.02.3 and it's better.

Bye,
Ciccio

Post by Guest »

I am using the firmware 1.02.3 and the result is the same: Broken wireless connection. I guess the reason is temparature. Because during a cold day wireless connection last longer.
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

I you sure it's not the device you are connecting with that is the problem? After a recent purchase of a centrino laptop (b/g), I had to upgrade the drivers first thing because the connection would only last couple of minutes.

How many devices are on you network? If you have multiple, they may be conflicting.

Are you using any other devices that operate in the same frequency as WiFi? Some wireless phones operate in the same frequency.

Try different channels, maybe you neighbours are using WLAN with non broadcasting SID. I believe channel 6 is the only non-overlapping channel, try that one.

Try without encryption. WEP adds a lot of overhead (up to 40%!) and in case of poor reception, encryption could make you loose the connection.
mgjohn

Post by mgjohn »

Same probs, loses wireless talking to WPG54G, latest WAG firmware, have to reset gateway.

Followed all advice on net - still no good.

I think I have found a workaround - set the WAG54G to operate on 11b not auto/11g :(

I reckon the problem is when signal is borderline to support 54Mb and it tries to switch modes?

Will try newer pc drivers next, while I wait for reply from Linksys

John
highlevel

Post by highlevel »

I have had the same problems as you have. Believe it or not Windows XP SP2 was my solution. No disconnects in the last 2 days(!). The only problem I have is that I cannot can encryption or vpn working. That's problably another story....
Tweaker

Post by Tweaker »

I have just set-up this device in 'mixed-mode' without suffering any problems in this thread.

As a rookie, here are a few things to consider:
1. First thing I did was a Firmware upgrade to very latest build
2. Wireless PCI card is a LinkSys 54G - no-ones said which card they're using at the other end !
3. 'Keep Alive' or 'Connect on Demand' Option under 'Basic Set-up':
"Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time. You can configure the Gateway to cut the Internet connection after it has been inactive for a specified period of time (Max Idle Time). If your Internet connection has been terminated due to inactivity, Connect on Demand enables the Gateway to automatically re-establish your connection as soon as you attempt to access the Internet again. If you wish to activate Connect on
Demand, click the radio button. In the Max Idle Time field, enter the number of minutes you want to have elapsed before your Internet connection terminates."

The general view is that the firmware on this device is OK - just be glad you didn't buy the older tri-band model. There's a company in Scandanavia that's hacked the gateway OS and fixed the bugs that LinkSys couldn't be bothered to do (www.sveasoft.com). DON'T be tempted to install their stuff on your device (IMHO).

I'd suggest that you invest £35 in a LinkSys 54g card for your PC/laptop - try and buy it on a 'Sale or Return' basis having talked with Customer Service at the place you originally bought the gateway.