WAG54G for newbie

On the Linksys WAG54G. Performance, configuration and set-up.
raswok

WAG54G for newbie

Post by raswok »

Trying to set up MSN Messenger to work with the router. The problem is when sending and recieving file I get very slow speeds like 4.6kbps. I have set up port triggering and also port range forwarding but no luck. :(

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I am running latest version of MSN Messenger and Firmware.

Currently set up using 6891 ~ 6900 for tcp and udp in port triggering and port range forwarding.

Cheers :D
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

raswok,

first of all, the port triggering is not recommended as it is said it slows down the router to a crawl.

About port forwarding. A friend was recently in touch with Linksys support because his port forwarding stopped working after upgrading to 1.01.5. After various manipulations of the settings (firewall off, etc) they send him an unofficial firmware (1.01.7_0304) which seems to have fixed his port forwarding issues.

So I would recommend you to put your computer in DMZ or get in touch with Linksys support to get an updated firmware!

By the way, doesnt MSNM support uPnP? As in the linksys router should automatically set up port forwarding for it?

David
raswok

Post by raswok »

Cheers David, I have had trouble with it since the firmware upgrade. My router used to be able to set it up for me but not any more.

I will get in touch with Linksys support and see if I can get them to send me that unoffocial firmware.

Thanks again :D
raswok

Post by raswok »

David,

I could not get Linsys to send me out that Firmware. Does your friend still have it on email or disk?

Will appreciate if he can send it out to me.

Cheers :)

[email protected]