Using Linksys WAG54G with NAT and NON NAT

On the Linksys WAG54G. Performance, configuration and set-up.
TopDog129

Using Linksys WAG54G with NAT and NON NAT

Post by TopDog129 »

Hi,

I have the got the Linksys WAG54G wireless router and had it up and running in 5 minutes using normal NAT without any issues.

I have 5 usable IP's from Eclipse and am trying to get the router working in this scenario. I have made the following changes after it was working in NAT mode:
- The router will always get the IP information itself from my isp (address is xxx.xxx.xxx.121) including the DNS servers for my ISP
- Set the router LOCAL IP address to the same as the one provided by the ISP (xxx.xxx.xxx.121) with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.248
- Disable DHCP server
- On the advance routing screen I have disabled NAT and also left RIP routing disabled
- Assigned manually on each computer the other static IP's (xxx.xxx.xxx.122-126) specifying the subnet as 255.255.255.248 and setting the gateway to xxx.xxx.xxx.121 and also manually setting the DNS servers.

Once I have done this the computers can ping the router and access the router web interface but do nothing further like pinging any external IP's! (I have tried disabling the firewall)

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

TD
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Hey TopDog,

I saw your thread on this topic at another Broadband forum, too bad the issue has not been resolved yet :-(

What you have done (No NAT, No DHCP) is just what Linksys recommended doing and claimed that it is possible to use the router with a block of public IPs. The person I talked to did not seem very knowledgeable however :-(

One more thing worth trying I think would be to assign .122 as the LOCAL IP of the router. This will take away one usable IP but maybe is required. Then trying both .121 and .122 as the gateway.

Please call Linksys (0870 739 3939) as well so they notice this issue is a requested one.

David
TopDog129

Post by TopDog129 »

Hi,

Thanks, I did try setting the local IP to .122 but did not set my gateway on the machines to that IP. I will try that. I may have to try creating static routes for each of IP's maybe. I am on a mission to get it sorted :D
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

I also tried creating static routing but don't think I got it right. I'd rather avoid static routing... and various Firmware hacks suggested. I'd hate transforming my router into an expensive blue doorstop.
TopDog129

Post by TopDog129 »

Hey I have managed to resolve this :D

I set the local router IP to .122 and set the gateway on the computers to .122 and disabled NAT. I can also get the DHCP server on the router to assign the PUBLIC static IP addresses and also automatically passes on the correct DNS information to the DHCP client...
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Sweet, glad that I was able to help :wink: .

I remember hearing this solution - setting the local ip of the router to one higher - a while ago but was dissapointed the it takes away one more static IP.

This means that "only" 4 additional devices can be used :-(
TopDog129

Post by TopDog129 »

hmm.. yes that is one disadvantage... but one I can live with for now... I am dissapointed the WAG54G doesn't have a configuration backup/restore feature!
TheFLC

Post by TheFLC »

I set mine up the same... with NAT disabled etc but I found that I can't do ftp uploads to external ftp servers anymore. Do you have this issue? It works fine when you enable NAT again, but not really the point eh? Linksys support suggested a warranty replacement but I fear it wouldn't change anything.
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

I will try this later and let you know. Meanwhile try this:

- power cycle the router once all your settings are set up correctly
- try with the firewall on/off
TheFLC

Post by TheFLC »

yep, did all this for the Linksys tech guy and it made no difference :(

However, I was very confused looking at the routing table when I first got the router, because I was expecting two inbound routes to the network 82...40 subnet mask 255.255.255.248 but the was only one (for lan) the other was for 82...0 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (on wan). I do know that it picked this wierd wan route up from the dhcp settings that came from zen.

After I had attempted to do rfc1483 routed (i think), where you specify all the wan settings (the correct settings) and it not actually connecting (as was to be expected) I went back to pppoa and now I have the correct routes in my routing table.

Searching the net I have discovered that to be an early adopter of new Linksys kit is a bad thing :( but I'm not going to change it... eventually they will sort it out.

We need more people to complain I guess :D
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Did anything help? Are you able to FTP now?

I agree about being early adopter. The other lower price brands have their issues as well I have noticed (D-link, US Robotics).

If I could afford it I would get Cisco but that is not justifiable at home.
TopDog129

Post by TopDog129 »

Hi,

Try doing an FTP session using PASV transfers.. this may solve the issue...

Even with this setup I need to do some testing as to how inbound connections truely happen.. e.g. testing a web/ftp/smtp server etc...

Let me know how you go...
TheFLC

Post by TheFLC »

No PASV doesn't help, tried several clients and several sites in both modes :(
TheFLC

Post by TheFLC »

Also I have discovered not only do ftp uploads not work, but also sites that put a large amount of information in the query string (like ebay) don't work either.

Something seriously wrong here, looks like it somehow screws over the upstream or something.

Any ideas how we can hassle linksys for a fix?
TheFLC

Post by TheFLC »

Anyone got any more news on this?

ta