WAG54G VPN to WAG54GV2 VPN

On the Linksys WAG54G. Performance, configuration and set-up.
bigdave

WAG54G VPN to WAG54GV2 VPN

Post by bigdave »

Trying to make a VPN connection between two WAG54G units.

I have done this many times using version 1 units, but this time I am trying to make a connection using a version 1 and a version 2.

No matter what I try, the V1 unit reports a problem during the connection in the VPN log and suggests a check of the PFS settings.

If I re-create the same setup using two version 1 units the connection works perfectly, first time.

I conclude that there must be a problem or wrinkle here with either the V1 or V2 unit (or both).

The V1 unit is 1.02.1 and the V2 unit is 1.0.19 - both the latest vers.

Anyone any ideas?
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Hey BigDave,

I have not had any experience with V2 but it sounds like there might be some incompatibility issues between V1 and v2.

Ehrm, I know they are poor but have you tried Linksys support?

Numbers are at the top of this forum.
bigdave

Problem solved

Post by bigdave »

Having tried to vary just about all of the settings on the VPN tunnle I have eventually managed to get the two units to connect.

I think the problem lies with a bug in the V2 - by comparing the VPN logs at both ends I have discovered that the V2 gets into a state where it won't make a reply to the initial request for connection from the V1, and won't sent a request to connect either - it effectively goes dumb.

Although I can't quite put my finger on it - by varying the settings and using plenting of hard reboots of the V2 it is possible to make it work.
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Remember that the v2 is using open source firmware. As such, you can always download the source code and bug fix it yourselve :-)

v1.00.19 GPL

Another (unofficial) open source project has been started. Maybe there the VPN problem is no present.

AR7Port