my plastation makes grinding clicking noises

Playstation 2 related problems
ben 45

my plastation makes grinding clicking noises

Post by ben 45 »

My ps2 makes grinding clicking noises when I press the reset button and when a game gets to a load screen, it does it again for about 30 seconds and then stops and its fine for a few minutes then it does it again. It also starts doing it when there is alot going on in a game at once, like when there is a big shootout.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/list]
randymtn

A Possbile Fix For Grinding Noises

Post by randymtn »

Guess what gang...I found the answer to this problem. You're going to have to open the PS2, so follow the instructions on the following page when opening the PS2:

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/index.shtml

It won't hurt to clean everything what's on the inside, so go ahead and follow this guy's instructions. When you're done cleaning look for what is called the DVD snake motor. It looks like this:

http://www.ps2parts.com/images/snakemotor.jpg

This thing moves the laser back and forth so that the PS2 can read the games and the DVDs. The problem in my PS2's case was that the grooves were gunked up and the laser could not move back and forth properly. Some of that gunk had also gotten on the ribbon that is connected to the laser and the ribbon had gotten stuck on something. So when the laser was trying to pull all the way out to read the disc, it couldn't because the ribbon was stuck and, therefore, the plastic arm on the laser was skipping in and out of the grooves in the snake motor and making that God-awful racket.

Clean the gunk out of the grooves of the snake motor and then move the laser back and forth along the snake motor to make sure it has full mobility. Make sure the laser can reach the fartest point, the nearest point and all points in-between without restriction. If you notice any gunky spots on the ribbon wipe it off. Now run a test as explained on the web site above with PS2 games and DVDs to see if it works correctly.

I hope this fixes your problem.
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Nice find randymtn!