HELP me please - NO power to PS2 DVD Drive

Playstation 2 related problems
my_minis

HELP me please - NO power to PS2 DVD Drive

Post by my_minis »

I am very new to fixing PS2s and this messenging thing, but have run into a problem I can not solve. Hoped that someone could help. I have a 30001 (version 4, I believe) PS2 which seems to have no power what so ever to the DVD drive componenet. No power to tray, laser or snake. I assume it is something on the motherboard. Has anyone else experienced this and know the fix?

Also am wondering what the CR 2023 battery on the side of the unit powers. I replaced it to no avail - so I know it is not my problem, but just wonder what it does so know what will go out if it is bad. Thank you for any and all help. I am not electronic person. Just a Grandma learning by trial & error.
my_minis
khat17

Post by khat17 »

Does the fan spin when you turn it on? If it doesn't maybe the power supply is the problem. It could be a fuse or a capacitor in the power supply gone bad. If the fan comes on, it means that there is power going to the board, but not getting to the other components. This could be due to bad ribbon cables, or the cables being plugged on wrong. Check those and post your results. If you haven't disassembled the console, then hopefully it's just the power supply, and that isn't difficult to replace. Hope the info helps.

PeAcE.
my_minis

Still NO power to PS2 DVD Drive

Post by my_minis »

Thank you for responding. I powered it up and fan does work. I check cables and as far as I can determine they all work and are connected correctly. But still no power to DVD drive.
Thanks for your suggestions.
my_minis
khat17

Post by khat17 »

Ouch........sorry, it looks like the board was damaged somehow.......Do you have a mod-chip installed? If you do, remove the chip and try again. Maybe there was a badly connected solder point and it's shorting something out. If you want to try this as well, it's an option - disassemble the PS2 and connect it up. Meaning having it connected outside of the casing, and off the metal chassis. If you try this and it still doesn't work, then it's definately the board. If you try this and it works, probably something is squeezing or bending the board when it's fit up, or maybe something is grounding out on the chassis. Hope this helps. Post your results when you can.

PeAcE.