Ps2 disc tray wont open

Playstation 2 related problems
MFISHERMAN

Ps2 disc tray wont open

Post by MFISHERMAN »

I opened it up and cleaned the laser and now it wont eject. The light on the eject button wont light up but when i turn on the ps2 and the reset button is red i press the eject button and it turns on the ps2 so i know the buttons wires are hooked up but it wont eject. What could it be?
khat17

Post by khat17 »

Try removing the cover and check if the tray will eject. You may not even have to do that. Just remove all the cover screws (6 screws in some models, 8 in others) and try the eject button again. Sometimes the cover is too tight on the console, and ends up pinching or hitching the eject tray. Post your results when you can. Hope it helps.

PeAcE.
MFISHERMAN

Post by MFISHERMAN »

Nope thats not it at all i tried to hit the button with the cover off nothing happens at all?

Thanks

Mario
khat17

Post by khat17 »

Then it looks like either the cable, or the little board with the reset/eject button is damaged. If you have another PS2 that you can use, you could try swapping those parts and see what happens. Hmm.....maybe one of the wires in the ribbon cable got burnt. If you can't get another to test, then maybe you can test for continuity on the ribbon cable and see what happens. Hope it helps.

PeAcE.
MFISHERMAN

Post by MFISHERMAN »

khat i have 2 systems with this problem i know its not connectivity but i think it might be the cable or the board like u said.

Thanks

where can i get those parts
khat17

Post by khat17 »

The place that I've known for years as the first, and best, when it comes to chips and parts - http://www.mod-chip.com/

For your PS2 parts click on this link. I still think you should go to the main site and look around, you may be able to find some other stuff you may like.

Hope the info helps.

PeAcE.
chazza

please help me!

Post by chazza »

well, i got my ps2 about 4 or 5 years ago and its been really good since the day i got it, but just yesterday i turned it on and the disc tray refuses to open! :?
i tried to get it open for ages, but once i had managed it it wouldnt load any of my games! it plays audio and dvd movie cd's, but it will not play any of my games! can anyone help me at all? :) many thanks
khat17

Post by khat17 »

It could be either the ribbon cable going to the eject/power board (the little one). If one of the wires on the ribbon cable is burnt you wont know. If the board is bad it's hard to tell. Basically, you'd have to hook it up to another PS2 of similar model, or one that uses a similar board to check if yours is ok. There are a few things I did to mine when there was a similar problem, but I'm not going to let you do that to yours (as yet), since I'm not sure of all the side effects - one of which seems to make the PS2 not power on at all. The PSU is good, but it's something else - - - - - - - when I figure it out I'll let you know.

PeAcE.
chazza

Post by chazza »

hey khat17! i managed to get it to play the discs that are blue.purple/black/ps1! but it wont play some of the white/silver ones that i put in, it'll play some of them, but on others it just wont load, any ideas? thank you again! :D
khat17

Post by khat17 »

@ CHAZZA - The lens either needs cleaning or to be changed. If you're reading one type of disk and not the other it usually means that - lens going or tweaking needed. If you've tweaked before, do so again, if never there are some instructions in another post, along with links.

Will re-post with links if U can't find them...

PeAcE.