Problem with violent disk tray

Playstation 2 related problems
cai

Problem with violent disk tray

Post by cai »

Just the other day my ps2 was working fine, then suddenly out of nowhere the next day has gone crazy. When I turn it on and press the eject button, the tray pops out very fast and makes a horrible sound, then after awhile there's another sound which reminds me of a modem. When I press the eject button again to close, it won't close. It only closes when I press reset again. No games or dvd's will work, and everytime it loads up I have to put in the system settings (language, time zone etc.)

I have no clue about this stuff so anyone who knows what it could be, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
khat17

Post by khat17 »

Well, sounds like a board problem maybe.....I don't recall seeing a battery on my PS2 board, but I'll look again. If there is a battery, maybe it's dead and needs changing. That would be the solution for your having to reset the system settings each time. The "violent tray" is another thing. Maybe the board is damaged, and putting bad voltage to the eject motor. Maybe the motor is damaged. Who knows? Maybe the battery (if there's one on the board - I'll check and post back later) is dead and is causing all the fuss. Maybe the tray needs to be re-greased. I use WHITE LITHIUM GREASE when dealing with disk drives, and my PS2 is no exception. I'll post back if I see a battery on my board. If not, then try greasing the rails of the tray assembly. If your PS2 is chipped (Mod Chip) then maybe the chip is causing the trouble, or there is a bad or loose connection. You can try one of the suggestions, or wait till I verify the whole battery thing (unless you already know). Hope it helps.

PeAcE.