Different disks

Playstation 2 related problems
justincoaxum

Different disks

Post by justincoaxum »

I recently had my PS2 fixed and only some of my playstation 2 games works (the ones with the purple or black bottom) and it doesnt read my other games (with the silver bottom) or DVDs but it plays audio disks can you give me any suggestions on how to fix it.
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

This sounds like a laser adjustment problem.

Where did you have the PS2 fixed?

If the problem was not there before you fixed the PS2 then it must have been the service shop that introduced the error!
justincoaxum

Respnose

Post by justincoaxum »

It just started happening a while ago my younger brother was playing grand theft auto San Andreas and it kept saying it couldn't read the disk. It would only play for a little then it would go to the disk read error but like I said my colored bottom disks work fine along with audio cds. Its just DVDs and the other games that dont read. Also I could hear the system trying to read it but it never pulls through.

How could I adjust the laser?

(I read from this website that you could put scotch tape on the bottom of the games that aren't working properly in a certain way and they would work. Is this true?)

THANXS
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Read this and then this.

I have not heard about any tape technique but I would not recommend it :-)
justincoaxum

Different disks

Post by justincoaxum »

Thanks for the heads up on the tape method. Anyways I have adjusted the screws on the bottom of the laser several times to see what works and it still only reading the blue disks (any other suggestions). Also I was wandering could malfunctions with the laser be the reason why they did a remake.
khat17

Post by khat17 »

Probably. And I've heard about and seen the tape method in action, but it's just for games that are skipping or skidding when inserted into the console. Your problem is lens related, and you're going to need a new lens. The lens in the earlier model PS2's have known issues. Some end up reading CD only, and others DVD only. Unfortunate that you got the bad end of the stick tho, as most of the new games are DVD, and most PS2 games are DVD anyway. Hope the info helps.

PeAcE