Shade differences in Plasma picture

On the topic of connecting various devices to a Plasma screen
John

Shade differences in Plasma picture

Post by John »

I have recently purchased a plasma tv, (medion).

I Find that (especially green) colour, say a soccer pitch/ golf course, the picture is sort of two tone! I get terrible shade differences and it is so bad, is this common?

John.
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Hey John,

Normal TVs are very forgiving to the quality of a TV broadcast. They tend to smudge out any defects or artefacts.

Plasma TVs, however, are very sensitive as any defects in the broadcast will be reproduces exactly.

What kind of connection are you using?

The standard ones are Composite (single yellow), s-video, RGB (SCART) and Component. Avoid composite because it doesn’t work well with Plasma. RGB over scart should give you good picture.

What is the source? I have noticed that certain broadcasts, e.g. certain Sky+ channels, are awful quality due to high compression.

Try your Plasma with a DVD movie and see whether the shade difference is still there.

Good luck

Re: Shade differences in Plasma picture

Post by Guest »

John wrote:I have recently purchased a plasma tv, (medion).

I Find that (especially green) colour, say a soccer pitch/ golf course, the picture is sort of two tone! I get terrible shade differences and it is so bad, is this common?

John.
hi john i think it must be common i just bought a techwood an the skin tones on some programs make people look dead :shock: and are badly pixelated :x . i thought i got a lemon to start with (still not 100% sure! as the manual is quite poorly written so i'm not to sure about the set up :oops: ) but its all worthwhile when you watch the simpsons :lol:
or play a playstation game hopefully it's just the quality of the broadcast and as plasma tv's become more widespread the tv companies will improve their quality to suit. :)