To trade in or not to trade in?????

On the topic of connecting various devices to a Plasma screen
sharger

To trade in or not to trade in?????

Post by sharger »

Hi all

Does anyone know of any retailers that operate a trade in on old equipment? When I say old equipment it is less than a year old. The reason is as follows:

I currently have a Denon DVD 2900, a Denon AVR 3802 amp and Sky +. I have just purchased a Pioneer PDP 435 XDE Plasma. I have rung around a couple of retailers to find out the best way of cabling up my system for the video signal. (Audio already taken care of).

The common concensus was to use the amp for component switching as follows:
1. Component from dvd to amp.

2. Rgb from Sky + to Rgb - component convertor. Component from convertor to amp.

3. Component out from amp to plasma.

This option using QED signature range was about £700!!!!!!

Whilst talking to some of the retailers they said that the HDMI connection method on the Plasma offers a picture quality far greater than component. This then got me thinking that the new Denon 3910 Dvd has a HDMI output. Couple this with the Denon Avr 3805 and the Denon Link I presume you would have a drastic reduction in cabling and enhanced veiwing pleasure.

So my question is this, should I spend out on the above cabling method or should I buy the new equipment, which offset against the cost of cabling and any possible trade in would be more cost effective and a bit more future proof?

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance.
sharger

Post by sharger »

Come on guys. someone must be able to offer up some advice..... This is an AV forum after all!!
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

I am interested in a second hand component capable amp so I suspect my answer would be a bit biased...

Let us know what option you chose in the end,

david