Fortuna Clip on Problems

Questions and feedback on the Fortuna Clip-On Bluetooth GPS Receiver
rob

Fortuna Clip on Problems

Post by rob »

Has anyone else had problems with the ST/XT switch ? trying to establish if there was much difference between the two modes (there didn't seem to be) I discovered the unit stopped producing any data on the Bluetooth link. Looks like the switch may have got stuck between modes.
I have to say that the switch does seem a pretty bad bit of design.
Now awaiting comments from Fortuna.......
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

The switch is VERY bad design indeed.

However, using a tool with a fine point, I am always able to switch it properly. The unit is always in off mode while switching of course.

I do notice a difference when in XT mode: faster acquisition of signal, better accuracy, better reception when under trees. I have not noticed any impact on battery life as suggested.

I have had several BT problems while connecting to my PDA. None of them were however related to a switching between XT/ST mode. Let us know what Fortuna replies to you.

Re-enabling BT usually involves one of the following:
- re-pairing PDA and Fortuna
- removing battery over night
- selecting correct COM port on your PDA
- wiping PDA and re-installing navigation software first

Post by Guest »

Well outcome was - I now have a new unit ! Fortuna said that they would replace it under warranty. The supplier "digidave" was very helpful. Went for the slightly later version of the Fortuna unit - the "slim" ... Now have the same problems as everyone else using BT and Version 5 Tomtom ... but going to the "other cable NMEA GPS" seems to paritally solve the problem. Assume this is something to do with a bad driver for the BT unit ?
Pretty annoying that it seems to constantly need "pairing" each time I use the GPS ... guess I will have to read a few more news groups to solve the other problems.

regards
david
Site Admin

Post by david »

Good for you that you got a new unit, that is always a plus.

Yes, ditto regarding TomTom 5 problem. Solved it by using "other NMEA". A single pairing only however.

I was browsing a lot of TomTom forums and there is a rumour of updated GPS drivers (gps.cab or gps.exe) that have fixed the problem for some users.

They are now able to use the Fortuna as "other BT device".