The Story of David Kaspar Forum Index The Story of David Kaspar
Electronic discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WAG54G VPN to WAG54GV2 VPN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Story of David Kaspar Forum Index -> Linksys WAG54G
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: WAG54G VPN to WAG54GV2 VPN Reply with quote

Trying to make a VPN connection between two WAG54G units.

I have done this many times using version 1 units, but this time I am trying to make a connection using a version 1 and a version 2.

No matter what I try, the V1 unit reports a problem during the connection in the VPN log and suggests a check of the PFS settings.

If I re-create the same setup using two version 1 units the connection works perfectly, first time.

I conclude that there must be a problem or wrinkle here with either the V1 or V2 unit (or both).

The V1 unit is 1.02.1 and the V2 unit is 1.0.19 - both the latest vers.

Anyone any ideas?
david
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BigDave,

I have not had any experience with V2 but it sounds like there might be some incompatibility issues between V1 and v2.

Ehrm, I know they are poor but have you tried Linksys support?

Numbers are at the top of this forum.
bigdave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Problem solved Reply with quote

Having tried to vary just about all of the settings on the VPN tunnle I have eventually managed to get the two units to connect.

I think the problem lies with a bug in the V2 - by comparing the VPN logs at both ends I have discovered that the V2 gets into a state where it won't make a reply to the initial request for connection from the V1, and won't sent a request to connect either - it effectively goes dumb.

Although I can't quite put my finger on it - by varying the settings and using plenting of hard reboots of the V2 it is possible to make it work.
david
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the v2 is using open source firmware. As such, you can always download the source code and bug fix it yourselve Smile

v1.00.19 GPL

Another (unofficial) open source project has been started. Maybe there the VPN problem is no present.

AR7Port

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Story of David Kaspar Forum Index -> Linksys WAG54G All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: