The Story of David Kaspar Forum Index The Story of David Kaspar
Electronic discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reverting to previous firmware. is this possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Story of David Kaspar Forum Index -> Linksys WAG54G
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spike_334

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: reverting to previous firmware. is this possible? Reply with quote

i have not as yet upgraded the firmware in my wag54g. and after having read mixed reviews of the improvements it offers, i am not 100% convinced, but i don't want to miss any new features that new firmware versions will offer. if i upgrade and don't see any great improvements, is it possible to reset the unit back to the factory fitted firmware?

cheers Very Happy
david
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Linksys WAG54G does not care whether it's a newer or older firmware you are uploading as it will always completely overwrite the previous firmware.

Just make sure you are using a WAG54G firmware.

After updating with new firmware, it's good to do a factory reset as any old settings may be incompatible with the new firmware.

Use LAN cable to upload the firmware as you don't want a WiFi failure in the middle of the process.

good luck,
spike_334

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that.

is there a means to copy/backup the original firmware that is currently stored on the wag54g?
david
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't....

but if you have updated it previously you should have the .bin file somewhere on you computer?

If it is the original firmware, then take not of the exact version. Have a look at Linksys firmware (FTP) to see if it is there.

Since the WAG54G does not support saving of settings, one good way to make sure you preserve them is to take screen shots of the important screens. After firmware upgrade and factory reset, you can then re-enter the settings.

I agree with you, I have been very reluctant upgrading firmware due to the reported problems. However, the reported problems can also be individual meaning you will not have the same problems.

good luck,
spike_334

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers again Very Happy what i had hoped for was; that hidden somewhere within the setup pages there was the facility to revert to the original fitted f/w in case of upgrade errors, etc. the f/w i am using at the minute is 1.01.6. i am happy enough with it, it works fine with minimal connection dropping etc. and i don't have any worry about upgrading. it's just the negative postings i have read of after users upgrading to newer versions. not to worry Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Story of David Kaspar Forum Index -> Linksys WAG54G All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: